Why your child is safe at St. David’s C of E Primary School
Your child’s safety is of paramount importance to our school and we have clear and consistent procedures in place to ensure that your child is safe. We meet all of the statutory requirements, follow the statutory guidance on keeping children safe in education and regularly monitor safeguarding provision.
We have a lead member of staff responsible for Child Protection and Safeguarding (Headteacher/Deputy) who meets regularly with the lead governor for safeguarding to monitor the impact of what we have in place; also ensuring we adhere to all legislation.
Below is an overview of the areas of school life which ensure the safety of our children:
- Safe recruitment of staff – including training of interview panel, CRB disclosures and all DBS checks.
- Clear and regularly reviewed policies for child protection, behaviour, safeguarding and many other related policies.
- Site safety – our school has security doors on the main entrance. All visitors report to the main office in order to gain access to the building. Outside doors are locked during lesson time as a form of added security.
- We hold regular discussions with the children regarding what is in place at our school to keep them safe and to improve awareness of their personal safety, including what to do and who to speak to if they have any worries or concerns.
- We have very high standards of behaviour and our behaviour across the school is very good. We have a clear rewards and sanctions policy which enables children to be clear about their responsibilities with regard to behaviour. We work in partnership with our parents/carers if there are any concerns.
- We don’t tolerate bullying and we act swiftly using our clear anti bullying policy and procedures if there are any concerns or issues
- Educational visits are always risk assessed. We ensure the ratio of adults to children meets or exceeds requirements so that your children can enjoy their school trips!
- We have several members of staff who are fully trained First Aiders. Children are sent to the hall/staff room if they are hurt or feeling poorly. As well as medical attention a kind word and TLC are also applied!
- We are a fully inclusive school. Our Inclusion Leader and SENCO work closely with our children and their families to support any additional needs effectively.
- Health and Safety must be rigorous at all times. Our governors have a termly meeting with the Headteacher and School Business Manager to monitor and discuss all aspects of H&S.
- We teach the children many aspects of their personal safety through our curriculum. Discussions on safety measures and how they can keep themselves safe take place regularly.
- We provide an annual safeguarding audit to Gloucestershire County Council. This ensures all aspects of safety provision are up to date.
- We have a strong belief in partnership working with our families, please speak to us if you have any worries, concerns or queries about any aspect of your child’s school life or home life. WE ARE HERE TO HELP!